USDA and DOE Award Nine Grants for Biomass Genomics Research
The U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science, Office of Biological and Environmental Research, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Institute of Food and Agriculture’s Agriculture and Food Research Initiative* have jointly awarded nine grants totaling $5.7 million for biobased-fuels research. CSREES and OBER initiated this fundamental research program to facilitate the use of woody plant tissue, specifically lignocellulosic materials, for bioenergy or biofuels. The research projects will focus on poplar, alfalfa, sorghum, wheat, and other grasses.
"Manipulation of Lignin Biosynthesis to Maximize Ethanol Production from Populus Feedstocks"
- Purdue University, $1.4 million
- Principal Investigator: Clint Chapple
- Co-Principal Investigators: Richard Meilan, Michael Ladisch
"Systematic Modification of Monolignol Pathway Gene Expression for Improved Lignocellulose Utilization"
- The Noble Foundation, Oklahoma, $800,000
- Principal Investigator: Richard Dixon
- Co-Principal Investigator: Fang Chen
"Sorghum Biomass/Feedstock Genomics Research for Bioenergy"
- Texas A&M University, $800,000
- Principal Investigator: William Rooney
- Co-Principal Investigators: John Mullet; Steve Kresovich (Cornell University), Doreen Ware (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory)
"Streamlined Method for Biomass Whole-Cell–Wall Structural Profiling"
- USDA-Agricultural Research Service, University of Wisconsin, $333,000
- Principal Investigator: John Ralph
"Development of a Proteoglycan Chip for Plant Glycomics"
- Carnegie Institute of Washington, $359,100
- Principal Investigator: Chris Somerville
"Biochemical Genomics of Wood Formation: O-Acyltransferases for Alteration of Lignocellulosic Property and Enhancement of Carbon Deposition in Poplar"
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, $300,000
- Principal Investigator: Chang-Jun Liu
"Genomic Knowledgebase for Facilitating the Use of Woody Biomass for Fuel Ethanol Production"
- North Carolina State University, $700,000
- Principal Investigator: Vincent Chiang
"Genetic Dissection of the Lignocellulosic Pathway of Wheat to Improve Biomass Quality of Grasses as a Feedstock for Biofuel"
- Kansas State University, $700,000
- Principal Investigator: Bikram Gill
- Co-Principal Investigator: Wanlong Li
"Using Association Mapping to Identify Markers for Cell-Wall Constituents and Biomass Yield in Alfalfa"
- University of Georgia, $445,000
- Principal Investigator: Charles Brummer
- Co-Principal Investigators: Kenneth Moore (Iowa State University), Jeff Doyle (Cornell University)
View Awards by Year
*formerly the Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES), National Research Initiative